The health pioneer John Rose got me into using watermelon more consistently in my juices. As he explains in one of his videos:
I’m very fond of watermelon. Of all the fruits I believe watermelon is one of the best fruits to juice for many reasons. It’s convenient, it’s easy, it’s fast, it tastes good. And it’s the highest food of all foods in glutathione.
In their book ‘The antioxidant master glutathione and periodontal health’ the authors state:
Glutathione, considered to be the master antioxidant […] controls inflammatory processes
The juice yield is great and I find I can juice it a lot quicker than practically all other produce, except other types of melon.
Ingredients (to make 48 oz approx.)
- 1/2 Watermelon
- 5 Medium Oranges
- Cut the rind off the watermelon (unless it is organic)
- Chop the watermelon into chunks that will fit into your juicer.
- Cut or peel the skin off the oranges and break into segments
- Juice the ingredients together
- Sieve the juice to remove the pulp
- Video Transcript
- From half a watermelon and just five oranges you get loads and loads of juice. Nice and hydrating in the morning.
Juice Fiend Says
If you’re not on a juice feast, the pulp from this juice tastes great and should definitely be eaten!